Fire starts due to reflections from mirror in Chalfont St Peter
A FIRE broke out in Chalfont St Peter because of the sun's rays reflecting off a mirror in a bedroom.
The incident happened on Thursday at a home in Orchehill Avenue when a mirror, which was on a chest of drawers in a bedroom, concentrated the sun's rays on to a nearby curtain, which started to burn.
The fire spread to a wooden cabinet and caused smoke damage to around half of the first floor of the two-storey house.
Fire crews from Amersham and Gerrards Cross attended the scene shortly before midday and used a hose to put out the fire, as well as a fan to ventilate the area.
Watch manager Sam Sansom of Amersham Fire Station said: "We are advising people to take extra care, particularly with convex and concave shaving or make up mirrors.
"Keep them out of contact with direct sunlight and never put them on window sills."
We'd like to hear from you. Send your stories, pics and videos